Pinewood Derby: WMass Council
- Cost is $10.00 per car
- All cars are required to register and pay online by the Thursday before the race.
- NO registrations will be accepted on race day under any circumstances.
- Unit leaders may enter and pay for all their Pack's cars on one registration (strongly preferred) or have individuals register and pay themselves.
- Trophies will be awarded to the top 3 finishing cars at each Cub Scout level and the Open Class, as well as Overall First Place.
- Patches will be awarded to all participants but sent to Cubmasters once they arrive late Spring.
Car Check-In Times
- 1:00 - 1:30 pm check-in arrival
- Races will begin as close to 2:00 pm as possible, unless delayed by check-in
- Attendees are encouraged to bring a lawn/camp chair for adults and/or a blanket for the youth as the race is taking place in the service center bay garage.
How It Works
The top three cars from each eligible Scout rank (Lion, Tiger, Wolf, Bear, and 4th grade Webelos) and cars from the Open Class from each District will be scored head-to-head against those of the other Districts. The Open Class category is for cars entered by friends, family, older Scouts (including 5th grade Arrow of Light Scouts), or community members.
Each car will race once on each lane of the racetrack. The lowest cumulative time will be the winner. The top three winners will be recognized in each category.
You can find the car building rules in the file download area below. Please follow them closely and ask questions of your leader. There will be a check-in table at drop-off and every car will go through an inspection at that time. The rules and inspection ensure that the car will both fit on the track and that there is a level playing field.
Car Check-in Specifics
At check-in, if a car is rejected for any reason (the most likely being over the 5oz weight limit), we will have a space available for alterations. Bring your own tools. Every family entering a car who will not be present should fill out a Car Repair Waiver from the file download area below - one half page per car. If permission to alter a car is not given and the family is not present to adjust, then non-compliant cars or one that breaks during the race will have to be disqualified.