Western Massachusetts Council has an ambitious membership plan for 2023!
Our plan is simple: Provide every boy and girl, grades one through five the opportunity to join Cub Scouts this fall! During Covid-19, too many young people missed the opportunity to join. Now we need to invite everyone to join!
Simply put, we plan to recruit at every elementary school in our council. Every Cub Scout pack has traditional schools that they have recruited from in the past. Our District volunteers will review that list, compare it with the list of public and private schools in our council and make sure that no school is left out.
One critical part of the plan is to hold all recruitments in September. Waiting until October is too late as parents find other activities for their children to become involved with. We have designated the third week of September as Join Cub Scout Week. We ask that your pack make every effort to hold your recruitment between Tuesday and Thursday of that week (specifically 9/19, 9/20 or 9/21). We plan on helping our Packs saturate our market area with publicity and getting the word out.
We look forward to helping your Pack have a great fall recruitment night. There are some simple steps that need to be followed now. We have provided a timeline of a few simple tasks to accomplish in the next month. Please fill out the enclosed form and send it back into the office as soon as possible. Thank you in advance. Together, we can “fill up our Dens and recruit more leaders”!
Jeffrey W. Glaze Richard Belford Gary Savignano
Council President VP Membership Scout Executive
Western Massachusetts Council Western Massachusetts Council Western Massachusetts Council
PS. On average less than 3 out of 10 Scouts of Cub Scout age are involved in the program. So, there are plenty of Scouts to recruit! We just need to go out and get ‘em!
Updated Fee Structure (8/1/2023)
The National Council has released an update regarding the 2023 Membership Fees that will take effect on August 1, 2023, for the 2023-2024 program year.
The fee updates include the following:
- $80 for Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouting participants ($5 increase)
- $60 for all adult volunteers ($15 increase to provide general liability insurance and enhanced background checks)
- $12 Council insurance for all youth and adult registrations.
- $100 for a unit charter/affiliation fee
- $25 one-time joining fee for new program participants in Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouting (Not prorated and no change in fee)
- $25 for Merit Badge Counselors (New Fee applies only for Merit Badge Counselors not already registered as leaders)
- $50 for Exploring participants Youth & Adult ($5 increase)
- $15 for Scout Life magazine subscription
The one-time $25 joining fee for new program participants in Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouts is still required; however, there is no joining fee for Exploring participants, participants previously registered in any BSA program, those transferring from one program to another, council-paid memberships, or adult volunteers.
Use the resources and links on this page to design your most effective plan to sign on new youth and go All In For Scouting this year!
Districts are scheduling outdoor events and activities to involve new and current members so the fun continues year-round.
- Use Geofencing to Recruit
- Youth & Adult Applications
- Transfer Form (Youth Member)
- New Unit Application
- BeAScout Pin Instructions (Pages 14-16 of the Unit Guidebook for Online Registration)
- Family Guide to Cub Scouting
- Car Parade Application Form
- Cub Scout "Invite a Friend" Business Card
- Scouts, BSA Peer to Peer Invitation
See Downloadable Resources Below
|2021-22 Recruiter Patch Application||Earn a WMC Recruiter Patch!||Download|
|2022 WMC Fall Membership Plan||Download|
|Cub Scout Recruitment Idea Book||Invite new families to join Scouting and grow your pack!||Download|
|Family Den Pilot Memorandum||Required Family Den Agreement||Download|
|Family Talent Survey||Aid to identify potential leaders||Download|
|Inflatable Archery Safety Guide||Download|
|Mobile Archery Range Safety Officer Training Slideshow||Complete this slideshow to be trained as a Mobile Archery Range Safety Officer||Download|
|Scouting Works!||Templeton Study - Outcomes of Scouting Membership||Download|
|Scouts BSA Recruitment Idea Book||Invite New Friends||Download|
|Sign in Pack Signups||Sign-in sheet||Download|
|Story Walk® Resource||Download|
|Strengthening Youth Through Cub Scouts||Download|
|Use This Virtual Rally Plan||Plan a Virtual Recruitment||Download|
|Using Social Media to Market Your Programs||Social Media - We all need to participate!||Download|
|Using Zoom for Virtual Scouting||How to Zoom!||Download|