Pinewood Derby: General Knox District
- Cost is $10.00 per car
- All cars are required to register and pay online by the Thursday before the race.
- NO registrations will be accepted on race day under any circumstances.
- Unit leaders may enter and pay for all their Pack's cars on one registration (preferred) or have individuals register and pay themselves.
- For units who held a qualifying race: If one of your qualified cars is unable to participate, an alternate can register to represent the unit in that category.
- Trophies will be awarded to the top 3 finishing cars at each Cub Scout level, and qualify to advance to the Council Pinewood Derby.
- Ribbons will be awarded to the top 3 finishing cars at in the Open Class and they will also qualify to advance to the Council Pinewood Derby.
- Patches will be awarded to all participants but sent to Cubmasters once they arrive late Spring.
Car Check-In Times
- Saturday morning between 9:30a and 10:30a
- Packs sending a larger group are requested to have a coordinator bring the cars early so a long line does not develop as the start time approaches
- Races will begin at 11:00am, unless delayed by check-in
How It Works
All cars from each eligible Scout rank (Lion, Tiger, Wolf, Bear, and 4th grade Webelos) and cars from the Open Class from each Pack will be scored head-to-head against those of the other Packs. The Open Class category is for cars entered by friends, family, older Scouts (including 5th grade Arrow of Light Scouts), or community members.
Each car will race once on each lane of the racetrack. The lowest cumulative time will be the winner. The top three winners will be recognized in each category and qualify to race in the Council Pinewood Derby on May 21 at Gary Rome Hyundai in Holyoke, for which there is a separate $10.00 registration fee. https://www.wmascouting.org/pwd2023
Option for Packs who have not held a local race
All Packs in the District are welcome to send all their cars to be run in this year's District Derby if you (1) will not be running your own Pinewood Derby or (2) have not been able to complete your race prior to the District Derby.
The computer will provide results for individual Packs, as well as the District Derby winners for each race category. Race results can be separated by Pack and rank, then emailed to the Cubmaster for local recognitions upon request.
You can find the car building rules in the file download area below. Please follow them closely and ask questions of your leader. There will be a check-in table at drop-off and every car will go through an inspection at that time. The rules and inspection ensure that the car will both fit on the track and that there is a level playing field.
What does your Pack do?
Build the cars, check-in the cars (w/Car Repair Waiver) before the race and pick them up afterwards.
If you are running your own unit race before the District Derby, you can forward your three (3) fastest cars from each category (Lion, Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelos, and Open Class).
If you are not running your own unit race, you can send your entire membership's cars and we will race them for you.
Car Check-in Specifics
At check-in, if a car is rejected for any reason (the most likely being over the 5oz weight limit), we will have a space available for alterations. Bring your own tools. Every family entering a car who will not be present should fill out a Car Repair Waiver from the file download area below - one half page per car. If permission to alter a car is not given and the family is not present to adjust, then non-compliant cars or one that breaks during the race will have to be disqualified.
|Car Repair Waiver & Acknowledgement Form||Updated 02/07/2022||Download|
|Council Pinewood Derby Rules||Updated 01/25/2023||Download|