Friends of Scouting
"Friends of Scouting" is our annual campaign to support the operating expenses of the Western Massachusetts Council. The cost to run the council is approximately $200 per Scout. As you may know, 100% of the annual dues payment go the the National Council of the Boy Scouts of America. Our council is required to raise its annual operating funds through fundraising and other revenue generation.
An investment in Friends of Scouting helps to fund:
- Local programs and activities throughout the Council
- Camp scholarships, uniforms and registration fees for youth who could otherwise not participate
- The Scout Service Centers, which coordinate Scouting activities and provide customer service
- Accident and liability insurance to protect youth and adult members
- Professional staff who counsel, guide, and inspire volunteer leadership
- Facilities for year-round camping and outdoor events
- Opportunities to attend summer camp and high-adventure events
- Advancement programs that recognize Scouts meeting the learning and achievement goals they set
- Development and distribution literature and training materials
- Leadership training for youth who will become future community leaders
Unit Leaders - To schedule a Friends of Scouting presentation or to learn more about it, contact your district executive.
View the 2018 FOS Brochure for more information.