2013 National Jamboree
*** Important Reminders ***
Upload your picture to your dashboard (past due March 31)
Health forms (due April 15)
Jambo activity selections (due May 15)__________________________________________________________________________________
First Jamboree Troop Campout (Apr 12-14)
Location: Moses Scout Reservation (** note location change)
Arrival time: 6:00 PM in the Parade Field
Pick-up: 10:00 AM
Council Custom Jamboree Orders Available
The first round of Western Massachusetts Council custom Jamboree merchandise is now available for order. This includes all 5 2013 Jamboree Shoulder patches, along with a special Collectors JSP set. JSPs from prior Jamborees are available as well. Once they are available, custom shirts and baseball caps will be added as soon as they are available. Download the paper order form or place your order online and have your merchandise shipped directly to you.
Council Jamboree Committee
The Western Massachusetts Council has appointed a committee of volunteers, under the guidance of a professional staff member, to organize the Council's Jamboree operations. This committee is responsible for selecting capable adult leadership, organizing the trip itinerary to and from the Jamboree, establishing a budget and payment plan, and other support functions. This committee is composed of Scouters from across the Council. The 2013 Council Jamboree Committee is composed of the following Scouters:
Joshua D. Hall, Chairman and Appalachian Trail District representative
Sherry Kreps, General Knox District representative
Rebecca LaFleur, Metacomet District representative
Hunter J McCormick, Professional Staff Advisor
John Willemain, Council Vice President, Program
Council Jamboree Adult Leadership
The Western Massachusetts Council Jamboree Committee has made it's first round of adult leader selections. These adult leaders serve as members of the National Jamboree Committee as well as providing direct leadership to the Jamboree Troop and Venture Patrol leading up to and while the Jamboree is underway. We are pleased to congratulate our 2013 Council Jamboree Leadership:
Robert Walz, Scoutmaster
Michael LaFleur, First Assistant Scoutmaster
Douglas Trevallion, Second Assistant Scoutmaster
David Meier, Third Assistant Scoutmaster
Andy Reardon, Venture Patrol Advisor
Patty Reardon, Venture Patrol Advisor
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us directly. We are very excited about the upcoming 2013 National Scout Jamboree and will work to help you and your Scouts get down to this historic Jamboree!
Yours in Scouting,
Joshua D. Hall
Council Jamboree Committee Chair
Hunter J McCormick
Council Jamboree Committee Staff Adviser
A Letter from the Chairman
With every passing day the Jamboree gets that much closer and before you know
it you will be getting on the bus and heading to West Virginia! Before July
13 arrives however, there are a number of things that need to be done. Here
are some reminders and deadlines that you need to make sure that you keep to in
order to avoid hick-ups.....
1) Our next Troop/Crew meeting will take place on March 10, 2013 again at the Goshen Town Hall. Please make sure to park in a real parking spot at the Town Hall or across the street in the larger parking lot. The meeting will start at 1:30pm and will last until 3:00pm. Please make every effort to make this meeting as there are a number of items that require everyone's input.
2) At our last meeting in January and previously everyone was reminded that there is limited scholarship funds available. Applications for scholarships MUST be received no later than the March 10 meeting. Scouts applying will be notified in April.
3) Speaking of money, please make sure that you are staying current with your Jamboree payments. This is very important as National must be paid and there are certain items that the Troop and Crew must purchase. Without funds we will not be able to keep to our deadlines and budget.
4) There are a couple of items that come with the cost of the Jamboree. You will be receiving two t-shirts which Mr. Walz will talk more about at the March 10 meeting. You will also be receiving a baseball style had. Nameplates are available for the Jamboree. They have the Jamboree logo and your name on them. This will also be discussed at the March meeting. Think about this - if you are interested.
5) HEALTH FORMS - As stated at the January meeting, each Scout MUST go to the Jamboree website and create an account using you BSA Identification number. This is how you will access your health form. Health forms are DUE BY APRIL 15, 2013. At the January meeting we asked that if you are able to get this done by the March 10th meeting and bring them at that time that would be excellent. Again, the are DUE BY APRIL 15!!!
6) Another item that you need to take care of is the photograph for the ID portion. This too must be uploaded to the Scout's dashboard. Here are the stipulations - "All applicants must have a current photo uploaded to their Summit account. Jamboree credentials will be photo ID's. The photo must be similar to a passport photo or drivers license meaning a clear, straight-on head shot with only the applicant visible in the photo. These photos should NOT be cropped, candid family photos showing the participant or staff member. These photos are DUE BY MARCH 31, 2013.
7) Remember that you should also be choosing your activities to participate in when you get to Summit. This too must be done on your Summit dashboard.
8) At the March meeting Mr. Walz and the other adult leaders will be talking about the leadership positions for the Jamboree - SPL, ASPL, Scribe, Quartermaster and PL and APL. If you are interested in any of these leadership positions, be prepared to discuss this with the adult leadership.
9) Remember that these meetings with the Jamboree Troop are considered Troop meetings. You should be in uniform!
10) The adult leadership is still looking for a place to hold swimming tests - preferably low to no cost. If you have any suggestions, please let Mr. Walz or one of the other adult leaders know.
I know this is a lot to take in at once. I thank you for taking the time to see to each of these items. If you are having problems accessing your Summit dashboard in order to get your health form or chose what you will participate in, please let Mr. Walz firstname.lastname@example.org (860)-830-3810, Mr. Reardon (413)-569-5945 email@example.com , Mr. McCormick (413)-594-9196 x7033 firstname.lastname@example.org , myself Stockbridge295@hotmail.com (413)-464-4277 or one of the other adult leaders know. Do not wait until the last minute especially when it comes to choosing your courses as you don't want something to fill up before you are able to sign up!
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Yours in Scouting,
Joshua David Hall
Jamboree Committee Chair
Upcoming Jamboree Calendar Events
April 12-14 - Jamboree Shakedown Weekend @ Moses Scout Reservation
June 21-23 - Jamboree Shakedown Weekend @ Chesterfield Scout Reservation
July 12 - Depart for National Jamboree @ West Springfield
July 24 - Return from National Jamboree @ West Springfield
Trip Itinerary: Jambo_Travel_Itinerary.pdf
Lackawanna Coal Mine: Lackawanna_Coal_Mine.pdf
Massanutten Water Park: Massanutten_Water_Park.pdf
Your time at the Jamboree (sample diary): Jamboree_Daily_Diary.pdf
Patch Image: 2013 NSJ Composite Image (jpeg)
Council Custom Merchadine Order Form: Custom Merchandise Order Form (pdf)
Troop Meeting (3/10/13): Jambo_TM_Mar_10_agenda.pdf
Troop Meeting (1/20/13): Jambo_TM_Jan_20_agenda.pdf
Parents' Meeting (9/20/12): Jambo_Parents_Meeting_Agenda.pdf